Thursday, October 11, 2007

Youth Soccer Drills

By Mark G. Platinum Quality Author

Did you know that soccer is the most popular sport in the world? Being from America, neither did I. I guess like every other American I figured that football was the biggest hit with the people. As a matter of fact, soccer fans are the most loyal and dedicated fans in all of sports. I know a few people personally, who will wake up at 3 in the morning to watch the World Cup live on television. I have been to a few soccer games and although they were only youth soccer games, I found them a lot of fun to watch. It used to take me back to when I was in elementary school playing soccer. Every part of it was fun, from the youth soccer drills to the actual games.

I remember one youth soccer drill we used to do. It was called dribble across a square. The coaches would place 4 disc cones on the field to create an imaginary square about 10 steps wide. Of course, depending on the number of players we had or our ages, the size of the square would vary. After the square was made we would spread out on the outside looking in and each would take a soccer ball and dribble to the opposite end and back.That game was a lot of fun. It taught us how to dribble through traffic, how to look for open space and once we got to the other side we could use different techniques to turn with the ball. My favorite turn was the pullback. All you do is put the bottom of your foot on the top of the ball to stop it and then pull it back in the direction you came from. The first person to make 12 trips back and forth was the winner. Of course, this is only one of the many youth soccer drills that can be used.

Soccer sure is a lot of fun. I can't wait to get my kids involved in soccer. It is to me, the ultimate team sport. Maybe I will even volunteer to be a coach. A couple pieces of advice on how to have a good practice are: Make sure all the children stay active and participate. A couple ways to make sure this happens is to make sure every player has a soccer ball and that they all get a minimum hundred touches during practice. All this talk about soccer makes me want jump up and yell. GOAL! GOAL! GOAL!

I have found an excellent resource that will give any soccer player or coach the winning edge when it comes to Competitive Soccer.
Click Here to Learn more!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Mark_G.

0 comments: